By the 1820’s the reaches of white settlement were being pushed further up Tasmania’s east coast. Settlers such as George Meredith and Francis Cotton, were drawn to the area by the prospects of farming and whaling. Despite constant complaints from the settlers to the Government regarding the lack of road access, by 1840 there was still no road between Little Swanport and the Swansea district.
Main Text & Information Sources -
"Glamorgan Tasmania" published by the then Glamorgan Council 1988 & Von Stieglitz's "Pioneers of the East Coast from 1642"