The Church, still in use, though an unpretentious building, embodies history and could not possibly fail to meet the eye of all who travel the busy Tasman Highway.
Even during those early years the Church was subjected to vandalism. Bushrangers spent one night within the hallowed walls while waiting to raid a homestead at Sorell. Their planned raid however was short-lived, police discovered their hiding place, and duly arrested them.
During September, 1854, Rev. Henry B. Giles, formerly an agent of the London City Mission, took charge of the Cambridge and Richmond stations. His labors at Cambridge were marked by encouraging results, Church services were well attended, a Sabbath school re-established, and a house for the minister erected.
The usefulness of the residence however, was short-lived, within the space of a few years, fire destroyed the building which had been situated east of the Chapel, and within the boundary of the church grounds, leaving only traces of the foundation visible.