Henry James Emmett arrived in Van Diemen's Land in November 1819 and held various middle-ranking positions in the colonial administration. In the late 1820s Emmett built Beaulieu (originally known as Beauly Lodge) and lived there with his wife and nine children.
John Swan purchased Beaulieu and 13 acres for ₤3,000. Swan had arrived in Van Diemen's Land in 1823 and had established a successful store in Hobart. Swan purchased some of the surrounding land so that the estate extended to some 100 acres and became known as 'Swan's Hill'. Swan lived at Beaulieu with his large family and two of his daughters married men that were to become prominent politicians - Catherine married Thomas Daniel Chapman and they lived at Sunnyside (today's 7 Swanston Street, New Town), and Maria married William Nairn and they lived at Leyton (today's 36A Augusta Road, New Town). John Swan died in 1858 but the Swan family continued to own Beaulieu until it was sold to Russell Young in November 1875.
The Beaulieu estate was about 10 acres at this time and the homestead had extensive gardens, including a large croquet lawn. The Brent family gradually subdivided the Beaulieu estate during the 1910s and 1920s. The Church of England purchased a block of land fronting New Town Road and St James' Church was built in 1916. Rupert Avenue, which was named after Henry Brent's eldest son, was constructed in 1920.
The Beaulieu homestead was purchased by William James Taylor in 1927 and it remained in Taylor family ownership until at least the 1950s. Beaulieu still had tennis courts at that time but units were built at the rear of the property in the 1970s. Beaulieu is in wonderful condition and is currently a private residence.
Information Sources: Australian Heritage Database
Australian Dictionary Of Biography: Henry James Emmett (1783 - 1848)