William Archer arrived from England in 1824 and joined his brother at Woolmers until moving to land on the opposite side of the Macquarie River. He began building the farm complex in 1824 with Ticket of Leave tradesmen and assigned convict labour developing the first area of Brickendon.
William Archer’s Cottage: Built with convict labour. Probably the oldest of the Brickendon structures, it was the original homestead from the property. William Archer lived here between 1824 & 1829 until he moved into the newly constructed larger home about a kilometer away. Despite the bad reputation the convicts enjoyed, William wanted to have all the farming men near his house. Thus the farm took shape around his original residence.
A “Must See” visit for the whole family!!!!!!
Main Text & Information Source: Brickendon Information Brochure
Main Website: http://brickendon.com.au/