Thank You to Christine Bailey for sharing this photo
Lieutenant Governor Sir John Franklin eventually ordered construction to commence on the new Government House in the Domain in 1840. In March 1842, the grand design proposed by famed convict architect, James Blackburn was accepted and construction began using convict labour and sandstone quarried from the grounds. Unfortunately, Governor Franklin had not sought official approval from London and in 1844, a dispatch from the colonial secretary instructed Franklin’s successor , Sir John Eardley – Wilmot to cease the construction and to pull down the walls that had already been erected and to fill in the cellar and foundation excavations.
The main parts of the construction was completed in 1857 and on the 2 January 1858 Sir Henry Fox Young became the first Governor to take up residence. Internal finishing was completed over the following two years.
Main Information & Text Sources –
Government House Booklet (available at the Open Day)
Government House Official Website –
Government House, Hobart – Wikipedia