Sunday, 9 November 2014

Lyndhurst

The original homestead dates back to the early 1830's. John Marshall lived there from about 1850 until his death in 1876. Marshall worked at the Bank of Van Diemen's Land for about 30 years but he was better known as the "Father of Cricket in Tasmania". During his 20 years captaincy of the Derwent Club, it was rarely defeated and he captained the Tasmanian team in the very first inter-colonial matches.

Lyndhurst was auctioned in 1883 and it was described as a most attractive brick villa residence, commanding extensive views of the harbour, yet perfectly sheltered from the northerly and westerly winds. Charles Ellis Davies was the purchaser of Lyndhurst and he subsequently extended and remodelled the property in a Victoria Italianate style. Davies was the son of the founder of The Mercury newspaper and he and his brother had taken it over in 1871. During their proprietorship, The Mercury became firmly established as the colony's dominant newspaper. Davies was also a member of the legislative Council for 23 years but never formally joined a political party for fear of conflict with his newspaper business.

Thomas Lyons purchased Lyndhurst following Davies death in 1921. Lyons was a successful businessman and was associated with the establishment of Tattersall's in Tasmania. He was also keenly interested in horse racing and his horses were successful in six Hobart Cups. Lyons died in July 1938 and his family subsequently began subdividing the entire Lyndhurst Estate. By 1942, Lyndhurst's 4 acres of fruit, vegetables and flower gardens had been subdivided into building blocks and auctioned off.

The Lyndhurst Mansion was purchased by the Tasmanian Government and was used as the Land Titles office until 1980. It then became the Industrial Relations Court until reverting to it's original life as a private residence in 2003 and remains to be so to this day. It still retains a beautiful garden and the property forms part of a beautiful colonial building precinct in North Hobart. A very beautiful, picturesque, beautifully maintained property.

Main Text & Information Source - 
"The Story of North Hobart - Street By Street" - Donald Howatson 2013
Australian Dictionary of Biography - Charles Ellis Davies
Australian Dictionary of Biography - Thomas Lyons

2 comments:

  1. You might be interested in this article on the house; http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/record-price-for-historic-home-lyndhurst-in-north-hobart/story-fnj4f7k1-1226891813576

    ReplyDelete