Rock Cottage is a single storey Victorian built around 1864 for Henry Wise, a local wheelwright by local stonemason, Thomas Lewis using stone from the local quarry. It features attic rooms with dormer windows.
It became the home of Mr Charles Nichols around 1878. Mr Nichols and his family were also wheelwrights with his carpentry and blacksmithing sheds across the road from his new home. Mr Nichols appears to have been a man with various business interests as he also conducted an undertakers business from this cottage as well.
Rock Cottage is a very distinctive looking building in the townscape of Bothwell and is very well preserved. It is currently a private residence.
Main Text & Information Source & Historical Photo -