This building was designed by Everard James Blackburn who later went on to survey Melbourne and was founder of that city’s water supply. It was completed in 1845 and was used as a day school from 1851 until the construction of the state school in Bridge Street in 1878.
Dr Valentine, who was an eminent local figure and owned the beautiful property known as The Grange, was instrumental in the construction and the building bears a strong resemblance to the primary school in Martock, Somerset, England where Dr Valentine was born.
At various times there were up to seventy pupils and in the earliest days, the building was also home to the headmaster and his family. In 1855, William Johnson was appointed headmaster and for the next four years he kept a wonderful diary which depicted daily life in Campbell Town. Another headmaster to oversea the school was John Clemons. One of his sons, born in Campbell Town, went on to become a senator in the first Federal parliament.
St. Luke's School was erected in 1845, by "voluntary contributions," when, and up till 1860, primary education was under the jurisdiction of the Church of England, and subsidized by the Government, after which a Board of Education assumed control. This historic brick structure stands in the church grounds, on the Main Road to Launceston opposite the Campbell Town Hospital.
The population of the New Norfolk settlement had been reliant on river transport for supplies which came up the Derwent from Hobart. The river divided the settlement and row boats & punts were used to ferry people across the river. In 1834 a company was formed to build the first bridge across the Derwent River.
However, it wasn’t until 1840 that work got underway with Governor Franklin present to witness the first post being installed. The bridge was officially opened in January 1842 although it was ready for foot traffic in early 1841.
It was built by private enterprise on the basis that all vehicles using it would be required to pay a toll. The toll house was built at the same time, in order to collect charges from all using the bridge. The money went towards paying for its construction. Toll money was collected until 1874.
Although the bridge has since been replaced, the original toll house still stands. It is a one-storey, octagonal building and has been used for a variety of purposes over time. Since then it has been vacant, used as a youth hostel, and is currently used as a centre for Tasmanian arts and crafts. It was declared a historic site in 1961.
Main Text & Information Sources & historic photos -
By the late 1850’s, John James had constructed a stone built brewery on the south east corner of Elizabeth and Warwick streets. He named his enterprise the Tasmanian Brewery and his family began to brew beer there and did so for nearly the next 25 years. The James’ family’s “Six Guinea Ale” was most favorably spoken of by many beer judges and was very popular in many of the hotels in Hobart.
In 1883, James’ brewery was one of three of the smaller Hobart breweries that were purchased by the Cascade Brewery business and then closed down. This was an anti competitive practice that was not regulated at that particular time.
By 1895, George Adams, the promoter of the Tattersalls sweepstakes, had come to live in Tasmania after legislation prohibiting his betting activities had been passed in the mainland states. Adams decided to become involved in the brewery industry and he purchased the old Tasmanian Brewery building. By 1903 he had replaced the original stone building with a newer brick structure. However, Adams unfortunately died in 1904 and his new brewery was never extensively used for producing beer.
The premises were subsequently acquired by Coogan & Co who utilized the building as a furniture factory and the Elizabeth Street frontage was remodeled as the showroom area. The building currently has a number of small businesses operating out of sections of expansive building, with a furniture store still taking pride of place in the Elizabeth Street frontage and several floors being utilized by an antiques business, the Antiques Warehouse.
Main Text & Information Sources –
“The Story of Central Hobart – Street By Street” – Donald Howatson
The block of land that these two cottages sit on was originally granted to John Goulder, a freed convict in 1839. Goulder had previously settled on the one and a quarter acre block in 1832 and in the same year he built a large weatherboard house. By 1839 he had fenced his land with stone walling and erected a two storey stone house, complete with outbuildings. The stables building remain the only original building surviving.
By 1840, John Goulder had become a successful shopkeeper and in 1842 he became the licencee of the Inverary Castle Inn which he renamed the Kentish Arms. By 1844, he had purchased the Bridge Inn in Pontville and the following years he purchased a property in High Street, Oatlands
John Goulder passed away in 1880 and by 1885 these two cottages had replaced the original two storey cottage. It is believed that the materials from the original house were used in the construction of the new cottages. The cottages are in wonderful condition and are beautifully maintained and form a lovely part of the streetscape.
The Government Gardens are a stunning formal garden where you can trace the steps of the ladies and officers who resided at Port Arthur and strolled along these paths, shielded from view of the convicts behind the garden’s fences and plantings.
Originally established in 1830 as a timber-getting camp, the settlement quickly expanded in size, large cultivated plots laid down to supplement the rations of the convicts and officers. Accompanying this was a setting aside of small plots for the tending of ornamental gardens by the officers. The penal settlement of Port Arthur aimed to be self-sufficient in fruit, vegetables and herbal plants for the needs of convicts and militia.
Officers were allotted their own gardens and more formal 'government gardens' were established. Several commandants and officials were members of the Royal Society so had access to plant material from the Society's gardens in Hobart.
As early as the 1830s ornamental trees were planted at Port Arthur. By 1838 the avenue leading to the Church from Tarleton Street was lined with young trees provided by the Governor of the day, Sir John Franklin.
It was Commandant Champ who, in 1846-47 developed the Government Gardens as an ornamental garden primarily for the enjoyment of the ladies of the settlement and where officers and their families could escape the taint of the convicts under their charge By the 1850s this had reached its zenith with the well-tended gardens of the Commandant's House and Government Gardens drawing comment from the visitor. The gardens were much admired and reached their peak in the late 1860-70s.
With the closure of the penal settlement and the establishment of the township the large swathes of cultivation and tended gardens were allowed to go fallow, smaller gardens sustaining the dietary and aesthetic needs of the townspeople.
The historic site today mirrors this past. After the closure of Port Arthur the gardens were neglected until reconstruction began in the 1990s.Large swathes of well-tended lawn are interspersed with the ornamental beauty of the reconstructed Government and Commandant's Gardens, or the tidy vegetable plots of an early 20th century residence. Together these areas provide unparalleled insight into the lesser-known aspects of the convict settlement and free township.
The Reverend John Burrows B.A., the first Chaplain of Pontville, Van Diemans Land 1840-1876 was instrumental during his latter years in having the Church of St. Mary built. Services were held from 1846 in South Bridgewater. There are early references to St. Peter’s Church in the 1840’s. In the early 1860’s, presumably because no services were being conducted, the Rector of Brighton was asked to take an afternoon service each Sunday. This led to the present Church being built, to be a milestone in the history of the district.
The architect of the Church was a Mr. H.R. Baston, who drew up the plans in 1862. The Governor of Tasmania, Colonel T. Gore-Browne laid the foundation stone on February 12th, 1862. Unfortunately, gales damaged the partly built walls of the building and in February, 1863, an appeal was launched to restore the damage. It took 10 years to complete. On October 18th 1873 Bishop C. H. Bromby D.D. formally opened and dedicated the church to St. Mary. It was recorded that 200 persons, four fifths of whom were Church of England, lived within two miles of the Church.
The cost of the land on which St. Mary’s was built was 35 pounds and the Church itself cost 450 pounds. Half the cost was met by subscribers, including parishioners, most of whom were poor workers and labourers. Bridgewater became part of the Glenorchy Parish in 1876 when a new Rector of Brighton, the Reverend F.B. Sharland B.A. was appointed. Later, when re-included in the Brighton Parish a letter was sent to the Rector of Glenorchy, the Reverend W. Dodson, by the three Church wardens, Messrs. Edward Ricketts, A. Barwick, W.A. Wood, deploring the fact.
The Church was renovated in 1916 and in 1960 major work was carried out on underpinning the Church foundations followed by extensive drainage work to help in its preservation. Floor repairs and redecoration was carried out in 1962-1963. In 1971 the church was redecorated and a new carpet purchased due to the efforts of every member of the church. The roof was painted in 1972. At this time the door to St. Mary’s was never locked so that parishioners and visitors could enter at any time.
It appears that St Mary’s was once renowned for its ornate woodcarvings. A Mr E. Osbourne lived in the area in the mid 1950’s and was blessed with exceptional wood carving skills. His talents were applied to the church with each pew having a unique design carved into its end panel. The Prayer desk had carvings including an image of Jesus wearing a crown of thorns and a choir screen that depicts the Last Supper. Irrespective of its comparatively recent vintage, it was considered exquisite work and became a major feature of the little church.
It is really sad to see this beautiful little church today with its shuttered windows and signs indicating falling masonry and even though all the furniture was removed vandals have gained entry and the walls are now adorned with graffiti. The adjoining cemetery itself is well maintained and is well worth a visit. One can hope that this beautiful little church will be the beneficiary of an extensive restoration program and that it can be ultimately restored to its former glory.