The Lake Frederick Inn was built by George Aitchison in 1833. Aitchison orginally came to Van Diemen's Land as a convict in 1819. He was a stonemason by trade. The Lake Frederick Inn was built from stone and 50.000 locally made bricks. By the time Aitchison began construction of the Inn in 1833, he had completed his convict sentence and was considered a fine "mechanic" as tradesmen were known at the time.
In fact, Oatlands owes much to George Aitchison as by 1829, he had constructed the now demolished York and Albany Inn and was the mason in charge during the construction of St Peter's Anglican Church in Oatlands as well as many of the other fine buildings located throughout the township.
Aitchison originally built the Lake Frederick Inn as a coaching stop. In 1834 John Jubilee Vincent, the son of the founder of the nearby Callington Mill became the first licencee. In later years, the Inn was renamed the Lake Dulverton Inn when Samuel Page took it over and used it as a service post for his coaching line.
Sometime after 1853 the Inn was also known as the White Horse Inn. The building has stood the test of time and remains in wonderful condition and is a distinctive part of the High Street streetscape of Oatlands. The building is also an important entry on the Register of the National Estate as an important example of an early coaching inn.
Main Text & Information Sources -
Interpretive Sign at the Site
"Oatlands - A Colonial Treasure" - Walter. B. Pridmore