The grand two storey mansion that still stands majestically on the corner of Napoleon Street & Sloane Streets in Battery Point was originally built in around 1840 by one Thomas Harbottle. It subsequently changed hands and by December 1856 was licensed as the Star of Tasmania Inn with Richard Carpenter as the licensee. The pub was perfectly situated to serve the many ship building workers who toiled in the various shipyards along the eastern side of Napoleon Street.
It would appear that the Inn had only 4 licensees in its history as an Inn and it was licensed for the last time in 1873. The Inn appears to have closed not long after this and for a while it was operated as a boarding house before reverting to a private residence.
The beautifully preserved Star of Tasmania Inn remains a private residence to this day.
Main Text & Information Source –
“The Story of Battery Point – Street By Street” – Donald Howatson 2012