Wednesday, 24 August 2016

All Saints Church, Swansea

A well preserved example of a typical Gothic Revival style church built in 1871. The Rev Joseph Mayson was the first rector of Swansea. He arrived in 1839 and remained the rector for 38 years. At first Rev Mayson conducted his services where ever he could but in 1841 a church was built. The church was situated opposite the Anglican cemetery in waterloo Point rd.

When the church was deemed unsafe for further use, the materials were taken as the old church was demolished and used in the building of a house in east Gordon St. A block of land located at the top of Noyes Street, on the corner with Wellington Street had been selected as far back as 1844 as the site for the Anglican Church and Sunday school. After many years of support and much financial assistance, the foundation stone laid by John Meredith of Cambria and the new church was built by Andrew Gemmell on the corner block to a design by noted colonial architect, Henry Hunter.

It was constructed of locally sourced roughly coursed fieldstone and it has dressed sandstone trimmings to buttresses and gable copings. Andrew Gemmell also built the pulpit for All Saints to a design prepared by Rev Mayson’s daughters.  All Saints Church was consecrated in 1871. It continues to serve the Swansea community over 140 years after its opening and is a very important part of the Swansea streetscape with its distinctive corner block.

Main Text & Information Source –
Australian Heritage Database
‘Swansea Heritage Walk” booklet – Glamorgan Spring Bay Historical Society 2009

Historic Photo – 

No comments:

Post a Comment