This small little church, which sits opposite the Pilot Station at Low Head, is the oldest church building in the George Town municipality. In the 1860’s & 70’s, Low Head was a separate and thriving community. Its pilots and boat crews, the staff of the Bass Strait cable terminal and lightkeepers, together with their families warranted the establishment of a church of their own.
In 1877, Christ Church was built on land that had been generously donated by Mr James Long, who at the time owned and farmed most of the land at Low Head. It was subscribed to by many people for use as a non-denominational church. It was used regularly by the George Town Anglican rector, and occasionally by visiting clergy of other denominations, especially the Rev Charles price of Launceston. In 1884, despite Charles Price’s objections, the building was consecrated for the exclusive use of the Anglican Church.
The first wedding in Christ Church was in 1879 and was between Robert Darby of the cable company and Miss Huxtable, daughter of the local school teacher, Mr W.A.Huxtable. Christ Church still receives a small amount annually from a bequest made by Mr Huxtable all those years ago.
The Stained glass windows, plaques and candlesticks in the church are dedicated to the memory of those who have had a long association with the church. Considering its age, the Christ Church building is in particularly good order. Members of the Gunn family have maintained and painted the building at their own expense for many years. The church continues to serve the local community and is an active part of the Riverlinks Anglican parish.
Main Text & Information Source –
"Treasures of George Town" - George Town & District Historical Society 2003